fabricologist

fabricologist

Monday, October 6, 2014

My Newest Quilt in Progress

I am calling this quilt Cat Weave.  I have seen other woven quilt patterns around, but this one is my own. I have long been wanting to use my Lizzy House Catnap fabrics, but I wanted to do this in a way that really shows off the fabrics. Finally, the idea came to me and I started. Here is a brief tutorial.
 I cut 2 1/2 inch squares in white and the four fabrics I wanted to be the "weave". I went through and joined them together. Chain piecing is easiest at this point.
 Next, after pressing the seams open, I joined the 4 !/2 inch white piece to the other side, again, pressing seams open to reduce the bulk later on.
 I had to look at my sketch to make sure, at this point that I was putting things together correctly, but I attached the 8 1/2 inch color strips to my units. A sketch, or laying one out on the design wall for reference is most helpful. Now, the final block assembly.
 The cat print is my focus fabric.  Making sure to orient it correctly, I pinned it to the first strip, marking a hair over 1/4 inch from the end. That is where you stop sewing this partial seam. All the rest of the seams are sewn completely and then you come back and finish this one. I know, it sounds confusing.
 This picture is a little blurry, but I sewed from the corner to just shy of my mark. I back stitched here.
 For this seam, I did not press open, but pressed toward the center square fabric. You can see the top of the block where the ends completely match.
 Next, you sew the top strip completely from end to end. This is the way you continue, sewing around the block center.
 Here, you can see the quarter inch that is not sewn at this point. Sorry, my pictures got a little out of order here.
 Then, you sew on the third side piece completely from end to end, just like the last piece was sewn.
 Now, this is the only tricky part, and it is not too hard, but use your pins here. Pin the final piece in place on the last side. Be careful to only sew the 1/4 inch seam, and not to sew over the end of the first section, which is the red in the picture. See how I have pulled it to the side?
 Here is a picture of the actual sewing process here on this seam. I put the pin in at this position and just slowly slid it out as I stitched toward it.
 Now, you just have to go back and finish sewing the rest of that partial seam you started earlier.
 This is so very easy. put everything in place and pin it to hold it. then stitch from where you back stitched earlier to the end of the fabric.
 This is what the back looks like. Seams are pressed open in all the side pieces, but the part where the attach to the center, I pressed towards the center.
 Here are two blocks, side by side on the design wall.
And this is what 4 blocks look like, all joined together. I plan to make at least 3 more of these 4 block units and then decide if that is big enough for me. Two tips here: use pins. I don't always, but this block needs to line up to work well. Shorten your stitch length. I learned that from Amanda Jean and it makes a big difference when you really need those blocks to line up perfectly. I will be back to show you when the top is done. I haven't decided yet if it needs a border. What do you think?

4 comments:

Podunk Pretties said...

You make that look so easy. As for the border..hmmm..white..if any...maybe with a colorful binding. Boy that was helpful, huh?

barbara woods said...

thanks for the tute

Josie McRazie said...

Maybe a solid followed by a stacked coins?

The Slow Quilter said...

That is a great weave pattern, I know it took some thinking and you did great. Love it