fabricologist

fabricologist

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

An Oldie, But a Goodie for WIP Wednesday

Have you ever bought a quilting book, just because of the picture on the front of the book? I used to belong to a craft book club and I bought several books that way, because when they sent you the catalog each month, there was always a book or two that looked really cool.  This is the story of one such book.
 I bought this book in 2008. Those petals on the cover, as well as the colors really drew me in. I am sure there was a little blurb about the book too, that intrigued me. And when I received it, it did not disappoint. Most of the samples in the book were made with batiks, however, and while I like batiks, they are not really very present in my stash.
 This was the quilt on the cover of the book that intrigued me so. I loved the pinks and the oranges, and the shapes of the petals really makes me smile.
 Then, further back in the book there is this one, called Stella Blue and that was the one that convinced me I had to make this quilt. The process is sewing strips together and then cutting out the blocks, or in this case, the petals. Now, what you need to know about this, and me, is that this was before I discovered the modern quilt movement and quilt blogs. I didn't find all that until about 2 years later. So I was trying to follow this pattern and I couldn't seem to get around the backing fabrics. I thought I would just cross that bridge when I got there. But I never did get there. I found all my petals and the book and extra fabrics tucked away the other day, still not a backing fabric in sight. I decided to pull it out and see what I had so far.
 I have almost 40 of the petals made, in my two favorite colors: yellow and blue. There are a couple of batiks in there, but lots of tone on tone prints and I know I still have a few of these left to make more petals.
 I love the pretty yellow print with the few tiny blue flowers in it. It seems to tie the whole thing together. So, I am going to grab the rest of my fabrics and make just a few more petals.
I am much better at taking a concept and making it my own for a quilt now, than I was back in 2008. I will figure out a lay out and find a backing fabric for these beautiful petals and this quilt will become a finished project finally. The applique process is just machine blanket stitch and since I have my Bernina, which I didn't have back then, It will be a snap. Look at those lovely blues!
I know I have a lot of other quilting projects going on right now, but I am very excited and re-energized to give this quilt the finish it deserves. Do you have any quilts in progress like this? Maybe it's time to dust them off, and give them a second look. You might be sitting on a real treasure.
Happy Wednesday. Linking up with Lee at Freshly Pieced.

10 comments:

Schulz Family said...

visiting from WIP Wednesday. I love the colours. Can't wait to see the leaves being attached.

Jeanie said...

What a great re-discovery! I have several projects that are at least 10 years old....hidden away and pretty well forgotten. Like you said, I think when you come across them again, you just have a renewed energy and lots of ideas to try out. Love all of the fabrics and can't wait to see what you come up with. Good luck!

Mary Pat Callihan said...

Charlotte, the quilt is a beauty! I will go hunting and see what I haven't finished. I must say, the only challenge I have been too afraid to tackle is curves! You won't find any curvy projects in my work room :)

carla said...

HI!!!!! How fun!!!! I can feel your excitement!!!!!! Can't wait to see what you do!!!!!

Jess (a.k.a. Rosie) said...

Beautiful! Can't wait to see it all put together :-)

~ Jess ~
Everything Is Coming Up Rosie

Carol Swift said...

I have a whole box full of this type of projects. None of them are even close to as beautiful as those little petals. Can't wait to see it come together!

Sabrina said...

I love those petals, and not just because I also love blue and yellow! They are so cute!

Tanyia said...

Well wasn't that a lovely thing to come across again?! I think those yellows and blues will be smashing together. What do you think you will do for the background now? I do not have anything that has been sitting around for that long, but I do have my plus quilt which sat around for months and when I came across it again I fell in love which I was not before and quickly finished the top! Now I cant wait to get it quilted!

Stopping by from Lee's WIP hop http://www.domesticdeficitdisorder.blogspot.com/2014/04/wip-wednesday-april-23rd.html

Carrie P. said...

great colors for your quilt.

Susan said...

Love the quilt, Love the colors you are using - watch out though, those are a favorite color scheme of a certain brother & sister-in-law! LOL can't wait to see the finish!